Thursday, April 9, 2009

I'm Back! Hello Fellow Empowering Women - What an eye opener!


Hello fellow empowering women. Did you miss my updates?

Well, what an eyeopener Cuba was. It was a much needed opportunity for r & r and I can honestly say I feel refreshed and rejuvenated. I've been back a few days now and as much as stressful situations have come at me, I'm doing my best so my shoulders remain down and not at my ears. That of course, is when the headaches and frustrations start, right ladies?

Was so happy to see a female police officer in Cuba & times of change
I know you know what I mean. We wear so many hats don't we? I was reflecting on that while I was away and trying to figure out how I can keep this sense of peace with me upon return to this thing we call life. When did it become necessary for us to become overscheduled and crazy? How many times have you said to your friends you can't make something because career,activity or family had to be the priority. I know that I can say I feel a tremendous personal guilt to disappoint someone but it's just the way our lives have become. So, to my friends, I'm sorry that I just can't be everywhere at once and if I've disappointed you, it's not that I love or respect you any less. We should try one big summer thing and maybe that will solve that :)

Anyway, Cuba was wonderful. Thank goodness I spoke Spanish as I don't know how some people get by. My suggestion, if you go in with lower expectations, you won't be disappointed...especially with the customer service aspect of it. I'm glad we chose the hotel we did as it seemed to be one of the better ones and though rated 5 star, I'd give it a 3 1/2 to 4. Also grateful we did a google search to find out food is, on average, "bland" so we brought along a mixture of spices & condiments. (Don't worry about bringing back in the Country, we left them for the locals & gifted to staff).

We went to Varadero & Havana. Between Jay and I we brought a suitcase each of gifts and presents. It's such a different world there. They're so exclusive and because of the embargo, just really don't have anything. Their gratitude was amazing. We brought them skipping ropes, bubbles, soap, antibacterial soap, baby wipes, makeup remover wipes, tissues, deodorant, eyeshadows, lipsticks, gum, toilet paper. Sounds odd I know but they're things they either can't get there or really, really expensive. It was very rewarding to outside some of the children's classes and give them gifts. We'd also be walking down the street and give them to unsuspecting people playing at their homes or waiting for buses.

Question for you and it's going to be really, really personal....have you ever tried to go #2 while squatting because you don't sit on the toilet seat? Okay, so usually if there's no toilet seat cover you'd cover with toilet paper right? Okay well there, they don't supply toilet paper NOR were there any toilet seats in public places (only in the hotel). So what else would you suggest? Yeah, can we say awkward? Check out the hand dryer in the bathroom stall I included as a photo. It was hilarious but again, a luxury item. Boy do we take things for granted!

Canada, I may complain at times, but thank you. I love my Country and grateful for our luxuries.

I also must say that I was impressed (I included a photo) to see a female officer. I took a photo and glad she was able to accomodate me. She was the only one I saw and in a Communist Country was impressed to see it's progression of a woman in the field :)

More later. I must run to get ready for the Ballroom Blitz. Our dress give-away is going well. I met a very lovely girl whom stood out and overcoming many obstacles. I was so happy I was assigned to be her personal shopper and was in tears by the time she left. I fell in love with her and if she ever wanted me to be her big sister or mentor, she can call on me anytime for support.

Well, I'm happy to be back and hope you all have a very successful and blessed day. I will update more later!



No comments:

Post a Comment