Friday, April 10, 2009

Outrage At the Treatment of Women (*warning-disturbing Video)


Outrage At the Treatment of Women (*warning-disturbing Video)

I came across this video a few moments ago. It is extremely sad and disturbing to me. I am feeling both grateful and guilty. Really, why am I feeling guilty? Because I was blessed and fortunate enough to be in a Country that I am? I'm not bringing this pain to the women and do they really have any choices to leave?

Anyway, it leaves me to feel, what is my purpose here? It doesn't feel like enough for me to wake up every day do my scheduled daily things and then just come home feeling satisfied that I had a productive day at work, have great clients/friends/family, etc. Something or someone (whatever your beliefs are) is telling me there is more and a greater purpose. I need to leave this world with the satisfaction that I used my voice and words to make a difference.

It's no secret that I too, as Independant as I am, was in an abusive relationship once. Note the word ONCE and that was enough history that I need to have. With every fibre of my being, I will never let that happen again. I had never been in one before so why settle and accept being told what to do by a husband (my first one in my twenties....not the man I'm with now) as a young adult? Anyway, I digress.... What I remember from that experience because it was in another Country, I ran to the police station and they brought me right back home in the back of the pickup truck, for all the neighbours to see, knocked on the door and said to my husband "here's your wife, you need to deal with her and take care of your business". I remember feeling like I was someone's property. If you haven't been in a situation like that can you imagine the humility I felt? Wow. I'm fortunate I had my family here in Canada (most notably my grandmother) to get me out....alive.

Anyway, this blog is not about me. If you're reading this and in any abusive situation verbally, physical or otherwise, evaluate your self-worth and if children involved - don't pass on the pattern of behaviour. You ARE valued and loved. You ARE worth something and a human being. Don't try to argue back and get defensive because it's totally a control thing and the abuser will never get it. They will never change and they're not respecting you. There is a better life for you....there is a LIFE for you. Just GET OUT. Go to another City, Province, whatever! Start over, get a new life and don't believe he/she will ever change no matter how much they promise you.

My heart goes out to all of you. My heart goes out to 22 year-old Fatima, the woman in this video.
Here's an exerpt: 22-y old Fatima who has been abused and injured by her cruel husband in Herat. Her toes were cut off by her husband, she was burnt by hot water, he hair were pulled...

I will not post the photos here. You can google "Rawa Org" if you wish but I warn you, it's extremely disturbing.

So, I will end on this note that as my wonderful man is calling me for dinner that he's lovingly prepared for this Good Friday/Easter (and calling me now so I better run......) I will say a prayer and blessing for all and have my moment of gratitude. I did not mean to post as a matter to make anyone depressed (sorry) or for this to be a dark blog. I hope that it's just for you to realize that no matter what challenge you may be facing today, rise above it and look at it as a challenge to overcome and there are better days and most certainly things could be worse. That's what I will take from this.


More happy blogs later I promise! Have a wonderful Easter, however you celebrate if religious or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment